The 2013 recruiting cycle is just starting to get rolling for the fans of each school, but it can be certain that the coaching staffs have been working at it for quite some time.
Georgia will have a few areas, defensive back, wide receiver, offensive line, and linebacker, where it will be looking for immediate help. With two junior college players already committed in Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College (Perkinston, Miss.) Defensive Tackle Chris Mayes, and College of Sequoias (Visalia, Calif.) cornerback Steven Nelson already in the fold as commitments, the Bulldogs still don't appear done with players from the JUCO ranks.
• OT Trenton Brown (Georgia Military College) - Brown already has an offer from Georgia, and seems to be close to receiving offers from Texas and Florida State as well. Many believe the 6-foot-8, 335-pound mauler has a bright future at the NFL level, and there is little question about his talent. UGA has the edge at this point as it is the first and only team to offer so far, and he grew up a Bulldog fan.
• WR Corey Smith (East Mississippi Community College; Scooba, Miss.) - Smith was originally committed to Tennessee coming out of high school in Ohio, but opted for the JUCO route when academic concerns arose. He will have four years to play three if he has able to enroll in January, and has put up monster numbers throughout his high school and junior college career. Georgia has offered but appears to be on the outside looking in with Smith.
• WR Quantavious Leslie (Hinds Community College; Raymond, Miss.) - Leslie is originally from the state of Georgia and played high school ball at Callaway. He committed to West Virginia out of high school, but qualification issues forced him to go JUCO. At 6-foot-4, 195 pounds with above average speed, it is no wonder that some SEC teams have already offered and several more have interest. Georgia is interested at this point, and could offer in the coming months.
The Bulldogs have yet to target an inside linebacker at the JUCO level, and it is possibly that they will avoid going that route as long as they like their chances with Troup linebacker Reuben Foster. It is definitely a position to keep an eye on during the spring and summer as coaches gather more tape on junior college prospects.
• CB Jaylon Myers (Georgia Military College) - Myers has excellent size at 6-foot-1, 190 pounds, and his coaches at GMC believe he has NFL potential. Georgia has shown some interest, but his chances of getting an offer decreased when the Bulldogs received a commitment from Nelson a couple of weeks ago. Myers told UGASports a few weeks ago that if he, and teammates Brown and Mario Alford get a Georgia offer. They would commit immediately.
• S Taj Letman (Holmes Community College; Goodman, Miss.) - Letman is an Elberton native that has gone on the record as saying he is a lifelong Bulldog fan. Georgia has been in contact since a few days have 2012 signing day, and there is some confusion on whether or not he already has an offer. Should he get a firm offer from the Bulldogs, he has also stated that he will commit on the spot.
One to Watch
• Athlete Mario Alford (Georgia Military Academy) - Alford has made it known that he wants a Georgia offer in the worst way. He was scheduled to visit last weekend, but didn't make it because he has some issues with the NCAA Clearing House. Alford could end up being a late addition to the 2012 class, or he could be brought in for 2013. His top end speed makes him an intriguing prospect nonetheless, and the next six to eight weeks are big for the Georgia native. He could end up playing defensive back, wide receiver, and/or special teams at the next level.
...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!